Thursday 28 July 2011

Must not end all titles with an exclamation mark!

So to follow up my introductory post, here's a little more about me.

As I said in the introduction, I've always gotten on really well with boys. I also get on really well with girls - I'm one of those 'good listener' types, plus I'm quite dry witted and always cracking silly self-deprecating jokes so I think people find it easy to be themselves around me. Part of this, obviously, is the fact that I'm somewhat tomboy-ish, which I think stops me being intimidating to other girls. But alas, I digress. Yes, I've always gotten on really well with boys. One of my best friends in the world, and one of the best people I've ever met, is male. There's absolutely no hint of romance, just completely relaxed friendship.

I've often felt embarrassed or self-conscious when dressing feminine because I felt that it didn't suit my personality and people would judge me, wondering why I was wearing these things and that I looked silly. I'm still getting over that, but I am of the attitude (or at least, repeatedly tell myself to be of the attitude) now that, who cares what other people think? You're only young once. I'm a size 12-14, I have decent breasts, an alright arse in some clothes, and decent legs. If I don't get them out now, before gravity, cellulite and varicose veins attack, I'll only regret it when I'm older.

Hair has always been important to me, as I hated my hair when I was younger (it was awful to be fair), and have always looked to serums, masques and deep conditioners to tame it and keep it in good condition. When I was 18, I finally got a decent haircut. This sounds ridiculous, but I'd been getting cheap rubbish haircuts for years which I think was the problem. I can't recommend going to an expensive salon - I usually go to Toni & Guy - any more. It's worth it.

I experimented with eyeshadows, lipsticks, lip glosses etc when I was around sort of 10-14 years old. At this age, however, I didn't know what I was doing. Also, I bought the cheapest stuff I could find (I often still do to be honest, but not for important things) so didn't have a lot of success. I was embarrassed for it to be noticeable that I was wearing makeup. I've had dark circles my entire life and didn't find a concealer I was happy with until I was TWENTY YEARS OLD. Twenty! Ridonkulous.

I didn't wear makeup between the ages of about 15-18 (also ridonkulous). I remember buying mascara for my Year 11 Ball (16 years old), and next picking it up about a year later. I think it was Year 13 (17-18 years old) that I started using mascara again. In my gap year, I extended this to mascara and dark grey eyeshadow.

In my first year of university, aged 19, I started using black pencil eyeliner in my water line on nights out again, having disliked the look before.

So yes, when I was 20 I discovered Maybelline Dream Matte Mousse. Not even actually a concealer, the foundation, and because it was so light I loved it. I also started using fake tan on my legs.

Now here I am at 22, a few months ago I became obsessed with prominent brows and purchased Rimmel's Professional Eyebrow Pencil in 004 Black/Brown, which I still love though I may soon experiment with powder and a brush to fill in my brows.

I started using Rimmel's Sun Shimmer Bronzing Compact Powder in Light Matte that I'd bought a long time ago but not had a brush for, with a cheap kabouki brush I bought in Savers.

I purchased Collection 2000 Lasting Perfection concealer in 02 Light on the recommendation of many of my favourite YouTubers, and of course because it was cheap. I bought No7's Eye Colour and Eye Blend and Contour brushes to help me do the smoky eye I'd been trying for years, but not known how to achieve until watching videos (I still haven't mastered it).

Most recently, I've started on liquid eyeliner, and I'm enjoying it. I only have a Miss Sporty one but it gets the job done.

Next on my list are blushers, lipsticks, highlighters, and a new bronzer. I would not recommend Models Own's bronzing powder, I should do a review on that actually.

So that's pretty much how I've come to this point. Miles to go! Oh gosh, this is long, I do apologise.

No comments:

Post a Comment